Pages

LilySlim Weight charts

LilySlim Weight charts

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Why 2013 was different and I was successful at last

I've been looking back at my earlier years of trying to get back down to my optimum weight, and there's definitely a pattern.

12/31/2012: 19.25lb over my lowest
12/31/2011:   5.25lb over my lowest
12/31/2008:  6.75lb over my lowest

This year, that statistic is different:

12/31/2011:  .25lb over my lowest

More statistics:

Day one of 2012 compared to the last day of 2012:  9.25 gain (over the whole year I gained 19.25 over my lowest).  At the end of 2011, I was down 16.5 from my highest, but 2012 I gained it all back.

This year:

1/1/2013 - 12/31/2013:  9.75lb LOSS (over the whole year, I lost 17lb over my highest)

What did I learn this year that made the difference?  I stopped fooling myself, and also listened to my body:

1.      "Cheating" is just a bad idea. Not only does it add weight, but every time I feel a little worse, or it takes multiple days to recover. It now has to be REALLY worth it.  Having something during the holidays is not enough.  It has to be a once-in-a-lifetime situation.  Plus, being wheat/gluten-free on a trip can be done, I did it in Bruges.  Will I want to in Paris in February?  I'm still trying to figure that out.  I may limit my indulgences to one or two days instead of 6 straight days;
2.      I don't have to deviate from my diet to enjoy the holidays. People will understand;
3.      I had to cut down portion sizes to lose. My metabolism is slower as a 52yo female, I just can't eat the amount of food I used to.  I eat a protein-only breakfast (eggs & 1-2 pork links) and lunch is now also high protein, and really small (8-12oz of plain yogurt);
4.      I drink fewer beverages.  I found my kidneys can't handle the extra volume of liquids and I get extremely bloated, so "drink more water" does not work for me (my doctor agrees!);
5.      I can't drink red wine without waking up at night.  I also just drinking too much of it! Stick to ale and stout;
6.      I need to drink a dark ale/stout 2x a week for optimal kidney/bladder function;
7.      I can't use stevia anymore. Yes, I am allergic to it (it's in the ragweed family);
8.      I can lose weight even if I eat some fruit and carrots. Primal worked better for me than Dukan. I felt too deprived on Dukan. I will still follow the structure of Dukan, so I will have some sort of Consolidation phase, but carrots, apples & prunes are OK for me. Continuing to eat Primally for the rest of my life is like a Stabilization phase, so that works too;
9.      Excessive carbs (even gluten-free or non-starchy) do not work for me. I haven't been counting carbs, but when I do have more carbs than usual, I get bloated, so I have to be aware of that now; and;
10.   Last year I learned that I can get down to my optimum weight at 50yrs old.  This year I learned how I can get to that weight again AND MAINTAIN IT. The new year will be my opportunity to prove that I can maintain my lower weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment