Pages

LilySlim Weight charts

LilySlim Weight charts

Monday, June 6, 2011

Doing Dukan while doing P90X

Someone asked me the following:

"Do you think your weight loss would have been significantly less, had you not exercised as much?"

No, I don't think it would have been less.  I actually wasn't doing PP 2 times a week, as I should have earlier on, which was a mistake on my part.  I was scared to do PP on my exercise days, and would coordinate the PP day with my rest/stretch day.  I've since discovered I don't have any problems.  I make sure to have some yogurt or almonds before my routine, they have a small amount of carbs.  On days I do PV, I've been having carrots, which is not allowed, but I thought with the extra energy I required, was going to be beneficial.

I am now doing PP 2 days a week, following his 2/7 plan i.e. 2 PP days a week for those who do not need to lose a lot of weight.  My goal was to lose 23lb, and I should have been done after 73 days.  I'm on day 97 of the cruise phase, day 99 total, and I have lost 18lb.   I also fell off the wagon 4-5 times, that didn't help either.

So, I think I might actually have lost the weight a little faster if I'd been doing PP 2 times a week the whole way through, as I seem to be dropping weight faster now.  I was already in pretty good shape having done P90X in the past, so I don't think I've put on a ton of muscle, maybe a pound or two.

I would definitely make sure you are walking a lot.  If you have not been exercising in the past, I'm not sure you should go crazy and start something really challenging, but then again, you can give it a try, and make sure you are eating some proteins w/carbs 90-120 minutes before your workout.  Muscle does cause the metabolism to run faster, so adding muscle can help you in your weightloss goals.  Just remember if you are adding muscle, the scale may slow down or not move.  At that point you should be focusing on the fit of your clothes or use a tape measure to make sure you are shrinking, because you should still be losing fat.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this post! I will definitely try to start walking more (it's been on my mind, but I think your post will be the push I need to get moving)... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've nailed it. While I think exercise is completely important, I think that most diet programs are 80% diet, 20% exercise. I'm all for the walking, but no one has to go out and do P90X to lose the weight (mind you, I'm all for everyone trying it - cause it's awesome!).

    ReplyDelete